Flathead County Courthouse
Originally constructed in 1903, this 12,500 sq. ft., three-story facility with cut stone base and masonry brick facade is still the tallest structure in the vicinity, and predominately terminates Kalispell’s Main Street. After years of modifications, the building was showing its age with sagging floors, leaking foundations, and many life safety concerns.
CTA was initially hired to design an addition on the south side of the courthouse that would house a new egress stair and elevator lobby. However, we guided Flathead County on a comprehensive analysis that took the client back to the drawing board and found a creative way to use the $2.3 million earmarked for the addition to fund a comprehensive restoration project, better utilizing the space, and converting the vault spaces into an egress stair and elevator shaft. This project included masonry retucking, replastering, seismic upgrades, a new fire sprinkler system, technology integrated throughout, and restoring the grand staircase and commissioners’ chambers to their original grandeur.
CTA’s specialized historian architect led the team through sensitive research and applicable restoration and replacement details. This project was recognized by the Montana Contractors’ Association as the 2012 Best Historic Restoration project and was awarded the Governor’s Special Montana Historic Presentation Award for Outstanding Stewardship! The Flathead County Courthouse Historic Restoration project was also awarded the 2013 Montana Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation, along with the Montana Contractor’s Association’s Best Historic Restoration award in 2012.